Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Whamdiggery!

Another unfocused week, but a new writing schedule has emerged and is in action! Life stress has been high but I now have a consistent scheme for writing and it is already bearing fruit. Got back to the novel yesterday (only 500 words, but still happiness-inducing!) and centralized my writing materials. I have scraps of paper, emails, and random files of ideas scattered about and they now all reside in one folder. I found some great ideas that are now in queue.

I am at a point with Aetas Nex where the dreaded hydra of Other Cool Ideas raises its bouquet of awful heads over the battlements of creativity. With short stories this is easy to fight off but with the novel it has been a bĂȘte noire. So I am calmly stuffing ideas and snippets into holding folders and staying on target. We'll see how well it works!

And now, some random cool stuff:

A) I urge you to go here and see the terrific photos that Kyle Cassidy took of fans at this year's Worldcon. A few famous faces pop up, but most of them are regular fan folk, and the set gives you some idea of the breadth of fans and their personalities.

B) I send the expected congratulations to this year's Hugo winners. There's been a lot of verbiage slung about concerning the validity and representative nature of these Awards (which I have participated in a bit), but those I have read are I think deserving, especially Neil Gaiman and Cheryl Morgan. Personally, I wanted Rushdie's Enchantress of Florence to get Best Novel. . . . But that's for the Snob Hugos, I guess. . . .

C) A nanofic, just for you:

"But darling. . . ."
She gave him the finger.
"Look, sweetheart, I know you're mad. . . ."
She did it again.
Sigh. "Baby, can't we just. . . ."
Finger, blue-polished nail. In his face.
His jaw hardened. "C'mon, you have to listen. . . ."
Finger, an inch from his nose, waggling.
Exaperated sneer. He gave her the finger.
She smiled. "Now we're communicating."

D) I found a bunch of older stories and I want to put a few up for folks to read and ponder and, perhaps, discuss. But they were written on that archaic creation known at The Typewriter and they must be scanned in for perusal by the Internet. I'll get them up at some point.

No comments: