Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Updates! Opinions! Tomfoolery!

1) My second (and apparently more controversial) column went up on SFSignal on Thursday. I am a bad blogger. . . .

2) My new Apex column went live yesterday. Very reflective. I really need to do a review roundup soon so that I can say more about Dark Faith and why, despite the unevenness of the stories in it, I found it to be a stimulating read.

3) The discussion topic in fantastika right now appears to be whether the term "speculative fiction" is useful or not. It started on the Coode Street podcast and has been discussed by Cheryl Morgan and now (with more depth and a pile of comments, including a few from me) by Cat Valente. I come down, unsurprisingly, on the "side" of fantastika as an umbrella term. "Spec fic" and "speculative fiction" are terms that I have used sometimes in the past, but I have abandoned them for either my preferred umbrella term or for something more specific. As I said on Cat's blog, genres are imperfect representations and subject to contestation. I wonder if it's worth writing a column about this?

4) I am reading and writing a lot. In addition to the columns I am working on two stories at the moment, and once February comes I am going to get back into the novel. Can't wait to start getting rejection slips.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Thanks for all the links. Had to laugh reading your post on SF Signal and the responses. There is almost never any way to throw ones ideas out there without having push back of some sort. On the bright side, it all seems very civil thus far.

I heard the Coode Street podcast over the weekend and found myself agreeing with Jonathan Strahan for the reasons he mentioned not liking the term. Other than my own similar feelings of that being the reason some people use it, I don't care all that much what it is called. I just want authors to keep writing it and people to keep reading it. It was fun seeing what Cherly Morgan and Cat Valente had to say.