Saturday, May 21, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
There's a lot going on behind the scenes. I have two assignments in the works that if successful will result in publication. I am very excited about this, although it is odd that my first "real" publication will likely be a non-fiction piece. Part of that is a result of my writing online, but another part is my own reluctance to put my fiction out there. I've written two stories that I have set aside, and the current one is at the "this sucks. . . PANIC!" stage. The novel is a different creature, because while the end of the initial draft is in sight there is more comfort in the sheer deluge of words and ideas.
Caitlin Kittredge issued a challenge on her blog a few days ago, and I took her up on it. To that end, I made the following to-do list that I vow to fulfill by 1 September:
1) finish the first draft of A CROWN OF CRUSTED BLOOD (am at 77K, looks to be about 110K for some sense of drafty completeness)
2) Finish current short story, then go back and finish the two I bumped because I had an attack of the “I sucks.”
3) non-fiction book proposal.
4) finish up some assorted legal documents and obligations.
5) do all this while writing a weekly column, a monthly column, and two reviews a month, while also reading a book a week.
6) oh yeah, not get fired at Day Jobbe.
And I have to add a 7) take care of my daughter and give her the proper love and attention. It was implicit but I think it needs to be said.
I've been looking at the calendar and re-figuring my commitments, and as always it comes down to sticking to a schedule, putting my ass in a chair and writing. Although with my hip getting worse, sitting is increasingly painful. I should probably add an 8) continue to improve my health, eh?